- Random photos
The Taxi Co. building at the corner of Cesar Chavez and Mission.
Joy Street, seen from Holladay Avenue in 1985.
Sears seen from Bernal hill, 1993.
The "half houses" of Manchester Street.
Cortland Merchants Association plaque that hung in Cotton Basics
Swedish Lutheran Church, Cortland.
Historical Articles and Stories
Bernal History Project has compiled these stories from neighbors and friends. Have a story to share with us, or time to help transcribe some? E-mail Vicky Walker if you want to help.
BHP's Terry Milne writes a "Legends of the Hill" column for the New Bernal Journal, our bimonthly neighborhood newspaper. Read all his articles here.
Help tell the history of Bernal with our new project.
BHP Special Research
In 2006, BHP and the Cortland Merchants Association collaborated on a Cortland Centennial History Walk, looking at the businesses of 1906.
Teenager Henry Behrenst's diary from the 1920s turned up in the attic of a house on Elsie Street. Can you help us learn more about him?
Gloria Lane tells the story of 448 Cortland Avenue, once home to the Richardson family.
Our predecessor, Bernal Heights Preservation, and the fight to save 111 Manchester Street.
Bernal residents past and present who are no longer with us.
An extract from Bernal historian Jerry Schimmel's memoirs about the Folsom and Precita bar with the unusual name.
Jerry Schimmel took a walk along Mayflower Street, looking at the hills, stairways, and native plants.
Jerry Schimmel reports on strange happenings. Learn how the gate got installed, about the mystery of the Bernal Hill Post Office, and various escapades involving cars and shouting.
Cardboard sleds, forts named Raccoon Palace and the Taj Mahal, and raising tadpoles: Alex Grimm writes about life on the north side of Bernal.
Bernal-related news articles from the San Francisco Call and San Francisco Chronicle.
Vicky Walker investigates a one-boy crime wave, battles between gangs on the north and south sides of the hill, and goat rustling.
Jose Cornelio Bernal died in 1926, the last connection to the original Bernal rancho.[top]